Parents & Teachers As Allies
NAMI Parents and Teachers as Allies is an in-service mental health presentation for current and future school personnel. It familiarizes you with the early warning signs of mental illness in children and adolescents. You will learn how to support students experiencing mental health challenges and how to effectively partner with families to connect these students to services early.
What You Should Expect:
- Free one-to-two hour presentation includes presenter stories and group discussion.
- Team of trained presenters represents a spectrum of experiences. Their perspectives include:
- Education professional.
- Parent of a child who lives with mental illness.
- Individual living with mental illness who had symptoms as a child/adolescent.
- Describes key ways education professionals can promote student success:
- Identify needs and link youth with services early.
- Communicate effectively with families.
- Examples of classroom accommodations to create a supportive learning environment for students with mental illness.