Executive Director Job Description
The application period has ended.
Position: Executive Director
Position Type: Salaried
Reports To: Board President, NAMI Mississippi Board of Directors
The Executive Director serves as the chief executive officer of NAMI Mississippi by providing direction and leadership toward the achievement of NAMI MS’s mission, philosophy, strategy, annual goals and objectives. The Executive Director implements the strategic goals and objectives of the organization and works with the President to assist the Board of Directors in fulfilling its governance function. The Executive Director reports to the President but is accountable to the entire Board of Directors.
In this role, the Executive Director acts and advocates on behalf of the Board with respect to NAMI MS’s mission, strategy, and daily activities and ensures that its functions are appropriately and responsibly carried out. (1) Ensures the organizational operations and programs of support, education and training, and advocacy are provided in the highest quality and research-based manner within the fiscal and human resource capacity of the organization; (2) Ensures the fiscal integrity and stability of NAMI MS; (3) Provides leadership and supervision to staff and volunteers to effectively carry out their assigned responsibilities; and (4) Serves as the primary spokesperson for the organization in public settings, consistent with the mission, policies and activities of the organization.
- Effectively and efficiently conducts activities of NAMI Mississippi to achieve the mission and goals of the agency.
- Assist the Board of Directors in developing and implementing annual and long-term strategic plans covering membership, marketing, fund raising, government relations, and other areas as needed.
- Perform and oversee day-to-day operations of NAMI Mississippi, including receiving and disseminating information; maintenance of appropriate legal, financial, personnel, and other records necessary to operations; acquisition and maintenance of office equipment and work space.
- Hire, supervise, develop, and evaluate all paid staff of the organization in compliance with current federal, state, and local laws.
- Manage the overall operational, budgetary, and financial responsibilities and activities of NAMI Mississippi, including receiving and disseminating information; maintenance of appropriate legal, financial, personnel, and other records necessary to operations; acquisition and maintenance of office equipment and workspace.
- Create a work environment that fosters respect for all; ensure communication is courteous, professional and effective; demonstrate the ability to work effectively as a team member.
- Assure that accurate and timely communication occurs with NAMI National and NAMI Mississippi Affiliates, including areas such as state and federal legislative activity, membership, and other necessary information for the achievement of goals of NAMI Mississippi.
- Oversee the organization’s programs, including the statewide information/referral help line and federal, state, and local advocacy programs, including participation in the programs; education of public officials; and development of all print and other materials relating to these programs.
- Demonstrate active engagement within the community (or throughout the state?), assist with donor and prospect research to find areas of shared vision and mobilize the resources needed to carry out bold new community initiatives.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Board of Directors.
- Demonstrated leadership and organizational skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including public speaking
- Demonstrated success in creating a supportive work environment and encouraging teamwork
- Knowledge of and experience with staff, board, and volunteer management
- Documented experience that demonstrates fiscal responsibility, including budget management fund raising, and strict adherence to fiscal policies
- Ability to work effectively in a public relations role
- Experience in acquiring and managing federal, state, and foundation grants
- BS or MS in mental health-related field
- Knowledge and professional experience with mental illness, co-occurring disorders, and the impacts on family systems; personal experience welcome
TO APPLY: Email cover letter, resume, and three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org with your first and last name in the subject line. Deadline is January 13, 2020.
Click below to view and/or download a PDF of the job description.NAMI MS Executive Director Job Description Updated 12-18-2019