Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update
UPDATE: In compliance with executive orders issued by the City of Jackson and the State of Mississippi, the State Office is closed until further notice. Emails and voicemails are checked regularly.
Over the past several days, there has been a significant shift in the state of Mississippi’s response to the coronavirus pandemic due to an increase in confirmed cases.
As of this writing, 207 cases have been confirmed in our state with more test results pending for other patients.
Until further notice, NAMI Mississippi is taking the following precautions to keep our staff, volunteers, members and supporters safe:
- The State Office will be operating at a reduced capacity. This means that fewer staff members will be on site at a time to practice social distancing. In most cases, only one staff member will be in the office at a time. Please be patient as calls and emails are answered or returned. We highly recommend calling ahead (601-899-9058) to confirm that someone is in the office before coming by. If the office closes due to a shelter-in-place mandate, we will notify you via e-newsletter and social media.
- Some support group meetings may be held via conference call instead of in person. This will be done at the discretion of each facilitator, so please contact the designated contact person(s) for your group to find out how they continue to meet or if a meeting has to be postponed.
- The Path to Recovery Crash Course for Central Mississippi and Coastal MS will both be held via conference call. If you have registered for the March 28-29 class in Jackson or for the April 18-19 class in Gulfport (registration open through April 4), you will receive an email with the conference call information, etc. Email any general concerns to firstname.lastname@example.org. Otherwise, your class leaders can be contacted to assist you with specific issues. Contact information will be provided via Eventbrite email.
- As of now, upcoming special events beyond April 2020 have not been rescheduled, but that could change. We’re keeping a close eye on the situation at hand, so please watch for updates on social media and the e-newsletter.
We strongly urge everyone to follow the Mississippi State Department of Health and CDC protocols to prevent the spread of COVID-19 such as:
- Frequent and thorough hand washing with soap and warm water for at least 20 seconds;
- Avoiding large gatherings of 10 or more people;
- Practicing social distancing and staying three to six feet away from others;
- Staying indoors and avoiding unnecessary travel except for tasks such as work, buying food or picking up prescriptions;
- Going into self-quarantine if you feel ill and using telemedicine to contact a health professional before being asked to going to a doctor’s office.
Also view this web page from NAMI with tips on dealing with the pandemic.
If you need emotional support during this time, please call the NAMI HelpLine Monday-Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., CT at (800) 950-6264 or text NAMI to 741-741.
Mississippi Coronavirus Hotline (available 24/7): 877-978-6453